Home' The Wellingtonian : January 10th 2013 Contents 8 THE WELLINGTONIAN, JANUARY 10, 2013
EVERY DAY VALUE
HIRE ANY 2
FOR $1 EACH
*excludes weekly new releases
The Biggest and Best Selection in the Wellington
3 Rongotai Road, Kilbirnie • Ph 387-2574
6 Park Road, Miramar • Ph 388-1060
Your Sanctuary... for nature, not for profit
For all conditions, times and details go to
04 920 9200
S NDAY S
FREE I H A
11AM, 20 JAN
J NIOR RA
EACH DAY, JOIN FOR ONE DAY OR ALL FO R
BOOKING ESSEN IAL (04)920 9200
KIDS' CL E RAIL
HRO GHO JAN ARY
EEKEND HO RS
JOIN FOR ON
AY OR ALL FO R
S MMER A
Photo - Shaun Matthews
link to early
Then: Hataitai, 1910. What is now Taurima St, on the left, runs into where Hataitai Village is now. Moxham Ave,
runs off to the bottom right.
ALEXANDER TURNBULL LIBRARY
Now: Moxham Ave runs down the centre of the photo, from Hataitai Village to Wellington Rd. Ruahine St is on the
Photo: AMY JACKMAN
Historic Moxham Ave
By MARY BAINES
Residents of Hataitai's main
street, Moxham Ave, may not
know there could be an under-
ground river running through
their back yards.
In colonial times, the Waipapa
Stream flowed through the suburb
-- from where the bus tunnel is
now, down between Moxham Ave
and parallel street Ruahine St, to
the beach at Evans Bay.
Today, it is a one-metre wide
culvert under back yards in Mox-
Despite a marine chart from
1826 that marked the stream out-
let as Good Water'', by the begin-
ning of the 20th century, residents
wanted the council to declare it a
In 1909 a petition was sent to
the city council, asking it to cover
in the Waipapa stream.
Residents said it had been pol-
luted by people emptying slops''
in it, creating a menace to the
health of the district''.
The debate between council and
residents about whether to culvert
the stream raged for two decades.
Residents complained of flood-
ing on their properties, and ponds
or cesspools'' attached to the river
filled with rotten matter emitting
By the early 1920s, council had
taken heed and covered the
But the problems had not been
fixed. Residents complained of
very nasty smells'' coming out of
the mouth of the drains, and flood-
ing continued on some of the
properties until the 1950s.
One group of early settlers
made good use of Waipapa
Chinese have lived in Hataitai
since the early 1880s. when they
grew vegetables in gardens
watered by the Waipapa stream.
By the 1920s there were several
fruit and vegetable shops run by
Chinese in Moxham Ave.
The street was initially named
Charles St, after wealthy land-
owner Charles Crawford.
However, the name was soon
changed to Moxham Ave, after
William Moxham, who arrived in
Wellington in 1858 on the ship
Mr Moxham was an early far-
mer of Upland Farm, which is now
the Botanic Gardens in Kelburn.
Although there is no evidence
he had interests in the Hataitai
area, it is likely there was a
He was heavily involved with
early Methodism in New Zealand
-- a choirmaster, organ player,
superintendent of the Sunday
school and church trustee for the
Manners Street Wesley Church.
In 1895 the Methodist Church
built a wooden church, Kilbirnie
Wesleyan Church, at what is now
111 Moxham Ave.
About a decade after it was
built, the street got its name.
By 1913 the Methodist Church
had been transported on rollers to
a more centrally located site in
Significant development, shop
openings and the increasing popu-
lation of the suburb, centred
around the Waitoa Rd/Moxham
Ave intersection, continued into
Today, a small shopping centre
is centred in Moxham Ave.
In 2011 the city council added
Hataitai Village shops to its heri-
Links Archive December 20th 2012 January 17th 2013 Navigation Previous Page Next Page