Home' The Wellingtonian : September 15th 2011 Contents 19
THE WELLINGTONIAN, SEPTEMBER 15, 2011
SPECIALISING IN GREEK IMPORTS
GREEK HOME MADE: Baklava,
Kourambiedes, Koulouria, Fenikia,
Spanakopita & Pasticho.
DELI: Taramasalata, Tzatziki, Olives,
Greek Cheeses, Feta & Haloumi.
PANTRY: Greek Coffee, Olive
Oil, Loukoumi, Pasta, Greek Dry
Bread Rusks, Greek Wild Oregano,
Dolmades, Lentils & Beans.
FOR THE HOME: Electric Briki
(Greek coffee maker)
12 Park Road, Miramar, Wellington
Ph. 04 388 6008 | www.elysianfoods.co.nz
PROUD MANUFACTURERS OF
Miramar, 11 Tauhinu Rd, Ph: 388 5006
Join Curves Miramar
Just make a donation to Curves
NZ Cancer research fund
HELP BEAT BREAST CANCER
* Conditions Apply
Dedicated to getting and keeping people moving in the
Spring is here !
And to get everyone moving again we are
$10 Surcharge for
*Applies to 40 minute initial assessments and standard 20 minute follow-up
We have also reduced our Private charges for a limited time.
Visit our website for further information.
424 Broadway, Miramar
Phone: 388 7129
Miramar, suburb full
of fascinating history
Back then: Miramar, Wellington, photographed circa 1927 for the
Evening Post, by an unidentified photographer.
Perhaps it is no surprise Peter
Jackson set up shop in Miramar.
The suburb's place in
Wellington's entertainment scene
dates back to 1907.
That year an amusement park
named Wonderland opened on
the peninsula. The park had an
artificial lake, miniature railway
and helter-skelter. It lasted three
years before the owner went
Miramar was also home to the
Capitol Theatre, which opened in
1928. Films last screened in the
Capitol in 1964. It has since been
redeveloped and, earlier this year
opened as the Roxy Cinema.
Miramar's history dates back
much further, though.
What is now a peninsula was
originally an island, which Maori
called Moto Kairanaga. An
earthquake, about 1460, created
the isthmus connecting it to the
The first European settlers
referred to the area as Watt's
Peninsula, after an early
Scotsman James Coutts
Crawford settled there in 1840 and
named the peninsula Miramar,
Spanish for ''behold the sea''.
The Scotsman is remembered by
Mt Crawford Prison, Crawford Rd,
Crawford Green and Coutts St.
In 1897 Worser Bay School was
the first school to open on the
Miramar Borough Council was
formed in November 1904.
In 1907 the first trams arrived,
linking the suburb to the city, the
gasworks opened in 1908 and
reticulated water was turned on in
1911. Many of New Zealand's
earliest sports clubs and grounds
opened in Miramar about this
time. The Miramar Rangers
Football Club was established in
1907, the golf course opened in
1909 with 11 holes and the
Miramar Tennis Club was formed
Mt Crawford prison opened in
1915. It became a women's prison
in 1919 and then a reform school
for men and women in 1924. It
reverted to a jail 1927, closed in
2008, but was re-opened as
Wellington Prison in 2009.
In 1921, Miramar was
incorporated into the City of
Wellington and by then was one of
Wellington's most populated
As Miramar grew three more
public schools opened -- Miramar
South in 1924, Miramar Central in
1929 and Miramar North in 1939.
Miramar has a population about
8600, according to the 2006
It is a thriving area in part
thanks to Peter Jackson, Jamie
Selkirk and Richard Taylor, who
have built a series of multi-million
dollar studios, sound stages and
pre and post-production facilities
in the area.
Sources: The Changing Face of
Wellington, Te Ara,
Come and visit our showroom
49 Coutts St, Kilbirnie - 387 3351 or 380 8261
Open: Wed to Fri 11.00am -- 4.00pm Sat 11.00am -- 2pm
Closed: Sun, Mon, Tues
You can have your new
kitchen within 4-6 weeks
Free consultation in your
home & measure & quote
Come into showroom
to view our quality
2 Park Road, Miramar : Ph (04) 380 9820
Open 7 Days
Abi & Holly Dog Grooming
Links Archive September 8th 2011 September 22nd 2011 Navigation Previous Page Next Page