Home' The Wellingtonian : August 11th 2011 Contents AUGUST 11, 2011
CONTACT US Editorial inquiries: 474 0147
Delivery complaints: 474 0266
Classified advertising: 473 9999
Display advertising: 474 0362
8 Turnbull pic 10-11 Opinion 12 Wellingtonian interview
14 Dining 16-17 Arts
WHAT A CHAMP
off for Heather 3
a festival 12
Supermarket sparks unease
By ANDREW MACKAY
A New World supermarket in Mt
Cook had its resource consent
approved last Friday, but
residents are worried about the
Foodstuffs had planned to build
the supermarket in Tasman St
after removing the Boys and Girls
Institute building in 2009, but the
project was delayed when the
economy took a turn for the worse.
Some residents are worried
about the impact trucks will have
on the street, a potential increase
in traffic, car parking issues, and
walls that could be ripe for
Douglas St resident Jonathan
Thomson said he would like to see
something facing the street other
than a wall, which he said could
be used for graffiti.
You ve got an opportunity to
have a pleasing landscape, Mr
You might as well put up a big
neon sign saying, Tag here .
I would also like to know where
staff will park as finding one can
be a lottery.
Mt Cook Mobilised president
Peter Cooke said his organisation
would have liked to see a return to
active edges , where instead of
walls around the supermarket
there would be shops.
Pedestrian safety needed to be
taken into account, particularly
with recent news that the three
lanes around around the Basin
Reserve could be condensed into
one, Mr Cooke said.
I m not sure if the transport
authority has taken into account
the increase in traffic. It s crazy.
Wellington City Council
resource consent planner Karen
Williams said the council had had
a meeting with Mount Cook
Mobilised to discuss its concerns.
Foodstuffs property manager
Ian Hutchison said last month the
project had been delayed because
of the recession.
When the original consent was
granted things were pretty good
out there in the economy, said Mr
But since then we ve had a
The current building plan dif-
fered from the original, he said.
Twenty-two apartments were to
be built across the top of the
supermarket, but that proposal
has been shelved. The super-
market has also been downsized.
One upside of the flat economy
was that Foodstuffs was able to
buy a Tasman St property to be
used as the truck entrance, Mr
The trucks are entering just
adjacent to the facade that s being
retained -- the Boys and Girls
Institute facade -- and exiting via
Once the resource consent
application had been approved,
the plans would go into a design
phase, which could take six
months, and then go to tender.
The work would begin in the
first quarter of next year at the
earliest , Mr Hutchinson said.
The name of the supermarket
had not yet been confirmed.
Suggestions have included
Basin Reserve Supermarket or Mt
If there s any feedback about
names we would be happy to hear
them, Mr Hutchinson said.
On the ball
Past and future: Rugby hopefuls Cade Umaga, 17, left, and Jackson
Bachop, 16, pack down with former All Black Frank Bunce.
On Monday Bunce gave an inspirational talk to Scots College first XV
team members and other students. Bunce spoke about what it took to
become the best of the best. He also told stories from his time playing
for Auckland, North Harbour and the All Blacks, and about being in South
Africa for the 1995 Rugby World Cup.
Cade, son of former All Black Tane Umaga, and Jackson, son of former
All Black Stephen Bachop, said Bunce's talk was interesting and funny.
Photo: REBECCA THOMSON
Building an underpass near the
Basin Reserve could cost up to
The Wellingtonian has learned
the costings for the Architecture
Centre s Option X proposal -- pri-
marily the trenching of Buckle St.
Independent property and con-
struction company Rider Levett
Bucknall used the New Zealand
Transport Agency s figures to cost
The company estimated it
would cost $130m to build the
tunnel between Sussex and Tara-
naki streets, put pedestrian overb-
ridges at the Sussex-Buckle
streets intersection and relocate a
It also factored in a $35m con-
No allowance has been made for
work to the memorial park or the
extension of the road tunnel under
Taranaki St. The additional cost
of the park is estimated to be
$20m to $30m and the road tunnel
extension $75m to $100m.
New Zealand Transport Agen-
cy s preferred options involve a
flyover near the Basin Reserve.
Option A is a a 380-metre bridge
20m north of the Basin ($75m).
Option B is a 440m flyover 65m
north of the ground ($90m).
Links Archive August 4th 2011 August 18th 2011 Navigation Next Page